Saturday, September 14, 2013

Lab Prescription for an All Ceramic Crown

I am doing an All Ceramic Crown on tooth #8. Here is a photo of my prescription form (i had already turned in the original, so I just filled out another form and left off the names and signatures):



Lets walk thru the components:

  1. Dental Lab - you don't need to put the address, only the name. My faculty recommended two labs for All Ceramic Crowns:  Gray Dental and Oral Arts. I also heard from another student that you can get Mr. Wehby to do a crown with CAD-CAM and have it back in a matter of days.
    1. Dr. Mazer (my faculty for this crown) said she uses Gray for all of her veneers and many All ceramics, so I just went with Gray. It usually takes them about 2 weeks to get it back
  2. Prosthetic Slip No. and Technician
    1. just leave these blank
  3. Shade and Mold
    1. our patient had some discoloration on his teeth (white spots here and there). Because it was #8, we took a few photos, and I am going to send Gray an email with the photos included in them. When I find out the email address, I will come back and add it here. 
  4. Request Section
    1. Framework doesnt apply here because its an All Ceramic Crown
    2. Set-up  and Process refer to dentures and RPDs, where the lab would set the teeth and/or process the prosthesis into acrylic
    3. Bisque Bake is not used by students at the school anymore from what Ive been told.
  5. Enclosed Items
    1. Mazer told me to include my articulator. Don't forget that your casts have to be mounted when sending off lab work for a crown. 
    2. An articulator is not necessary but I just did what Mazer told me. Gray Lab is on vacation next week which means I am without a Whip Mix articulator for 3 weeks, so just keep that in mind.
    3. Mazer said that an incisal guide table was not necessary for this case. #6,7,9, 10, and 11 were all intact and in good condition. This patient also had previous ortho treatment. For this reason, the lab has plenty of information to go off to design the crown to work in all of the excursive movements. Some faculty will tell you to make it anyway, and in that case I wouldnt argue with them. 
  6. Special Instructions
    1. Mazer suggested an E.max crown. I honestly didnt know so I went with that. Talk to your faculty about what they suggest.
Dont Forget - when you turn in your lab work, you also need to include this prescription form AND that little green card (signed by your coordinator) that says the patient has paid at least half of the cost.

Hope this helped!
- Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment